Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ralph Osborn




my sister Lisa rec'd an email Oct. 19 2005 from Judy in Tx.
"I have rescued an old cabinent card of an infant named Ralph Osborn. The photo was taken in St Louis by Thomas & Miller Photographers. I believe this photo was taken late 1800s or early 1900s.
There is a James Osborn family in 1900 Harrison County MO census that I believe is the correct family for this photo. In 1900 James Osborn is age 25, wife Caroline is age 24, they have a one year old son Ralph Osborn who was born in July 1898. This Ralph Osborn shows on the CA Death Index: DOD 25July1974 in Los Angeles.
So, if this if your family and /or you are interested in this wonderful old photo of an infant sitting on a fur rug with a wicker chair in the background, please contact me privately. I do try to recoup my cost for photos I rescue & try to return these old photos to their families. "
I emailed Judy. she replied: "Thank you for your inquiry about the Ralph Osborn photo. It is such a nice photo: card is 6x8inches, and the photo, which is firmly attached to the card is 4x5 3/4 inches. It is in excellent condition showing a cute little boy in a rather frilly dress (perhaps a Christening gown) sitting on a fur rug with a wicker chair or something in the background. There is no damage at all to the image and it is not faded.
I am sorry but I do not have scanning ability. I could let you have this photo for $10.00 which would include postage. I hunt high and low and for the precious few photographs out there that have identification on them. I would guess the identified ones are between 1-5% of all the photos I see. There are many wonderful old photos, but most have nothing on them to tell who they belong to.
Anyway, let me know if you would be interested in rescuing this Ralph Osborn photo. I do think you would be pleased with it. I have only been doing this "photo rescue" thing for about two years, but I find it very rewarding.
Best regards, Judy Erickson, 506 CR 4590, Boyd, TX 76023
(as you can tell, the card has some damage to it....I had it stored with scrapbooking papers, etc., and I will now securely mount it to a page or frame it or something before it gets hurt any worse!)

No comments: