Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mercer County School Ledger 1894

this is from an IADECTU-L@rootsweb.com post by Linda Cassidy lindacassidy@ameritech.net July 6 2003

You will probably notice the difference in the spelling of the Purks name throughout the pages. In the 1894 list it is spelled Purx. My Grandmother raised her family all over Decatur County, Iowa, and there were so many Osborns she never got her mail. So, she changed the spelling to Osburn, and later added an 'e'. I am wondering if that is the case with the Purks.
This is copied from a School Ledger that was purchased by my Aunt Pat Osburne Bassett at an estate sale, in the fall of 2002, in Cainsville, Missouri. My grandfather, Cleo Osburne, was raised in Cainsville (Mercer County) and his name is on the roll in this book. In another section of this ledger, his mother, Alcinda Osborn was listed as a student, and Alcinda's father John Osborn is listed as one of the school directors! This was quite a find for my family. I have made every effort to copy this record as written. however, some pages are very faint, and the different years were recorded by different individuals, and some writing is hard to read. I know that there are errors in this ledger, because on some of the pages my grandfather was listed as a girl. But I will record it as written for these records! Hope others find their ancestors here.

May 12 1894 cont.
Parent------Name-------------Age--------boy---------girl
Osborn John McClure Bessie 10
McBee Sam'l McBee Rosa 12
McBee Leona 11
McBee Effie 7
McBee Sydney 9
Osborn George Osborn Cora 8
Osborn Ida 14
Osborn Harvey 17
Osborn John Osborn Lucinda 19
Osborn George Osborn Edith 7
Purx Jas Purx Minnie 12
Purx Authur 10
Purx Serepta 8
Purx Wm Purx Uriah 18
Purx Josie 14
Perks Charlie Perks Dillie 8
Perks Amanda 6
Pittman Nancy Pittman John 18
Pittman Authur 12
Persons Madison Persons Carrie 12
Persons Minerva 8
Persons John 6
Rookstool Henry Rookstool Rosetta 9
Rookstool Dennis 13
Rookstool William 7
Still James Still Lillie 19
Still Charlie 13
Still R.E. Still Therressa 14
Still William 8
Stanley Joseph Stanley Ethel 7
Washburn Jack Washburn Josie 12
Washburn Ethel 10
Washburn James 8
Washburn Ellen 6
Osborn Geo Osborn Ona 6

Copied from "Keeping The District Records" School District #9, Township #86. County Mercer, State Missouri
by Linda Osburne Cassidy 7/6/2003

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi
I just saw your posting. Ida M Osborn m my ggreatgrandfather John Pittman.
Would it be possible for you to send me your tree?Minnie Perks m George Harvey Osborn and a friend looked up Obits for me about the fire that killed him and 3 of his children.
Minnie Perks m her son-inlaw after GH died.
My e-mail is vglover776@comcast.net
Thank you
Vickie J

Unknown said...

Hi
I just saw your posting. Ida M Osborn m my ggreatgrandfather John Pittman.
Would it be possible for you to send me your tree?Minnie Perks m George Harvey Osborn and a friend looked up Obits for me about the fire that killed him and 3 of his children.
Minnie Perks m her son-inlaw after GH died.
My e-mail is vglover776@comcast.net
Thank you
Vickie J