complied by Nellie White Bundy July 1976"compliments of Aunt Minerva Maxwell Brown. Visited Tazewell VA. in Oct. 1991"
early settlers 1769-1773 BLUESTONE: Thomas Maxwell. Bluestone is in the eastern part of Tazewell County on the Bluestone River. The Fincastle Turnpike passed thru this area. CRAB APPLE ORCHARD: Thomas Witten (I am thinking the Witten's are related so am including them...) (Disgah) inhabited by prehistoric Indians and first pioneer settlement in Tazwell County. Well known flag stop on Cinch Valley Railroad. remains an agricultural area. name derived from a wild crab orchid found there when first survived.
FORTS: 1773 Crab Orchard for erected by Thomas Witten on Crab Orchard survery tract.
POSTED AT STATIONS on Lincolnshire Branch, Bluestem Creek, White Sulphur Springs: Thomas Maxwell, Thomas Witten, James Witten, Jeremiah Witten, John Maxwell.
SPIES: John Maxwell, James Witten, Thomas Witten Jr.
WAR OF 1812-1814: William Witten
INCORPARATED TOWNS IN TAZEWELL COUNTY: 1800 Tazewell: was founded in June 1800 and was first called Jeffersonville Township in honor of Thomas Jefferson. It is the County seat of Tazewell County, Va. and one of the most historical areas in the County. 1883 Bluefield: first known as Pin Hook, Harman, Graham, and then Bluefield received its charter in 1883 and was called Graham, Virginia for Thomas Graham, an engineer and promoter from Philadelphia. He came to to this area to survey for the building of the Norfolk and Western Railroad. The name of Bluefield was derived from a species of chicory that has a dark blue flower, and the blue grass that grows in abundance in Tazewell County.
FIRST OFFICERS OF TAZEWELL COUNTY: 1801 Thomas Witten House of Delegates; 1800 James Maxwell High Sheriff.
COUNTY COURT LAW ORDERS June 1800-May 1810: JAmes Maxwell qualified as Sheriff.; James Witten Commissioners
Court July 1 1800 present Thomas Witten; New Term 1800 First Grand Jury Empannelled: James Witten, Edley Maxwell, Willam Witten
1801 John Maxwell Lt. 1st Battalion of 112th Regt.
James Witten Capt. 2nd Batt. 112th Regt.
Lt. 2nd Batt. William Witten Jr.
James Witten Commissioner Laying of townlots.1812 Jan. Thomas Witten, CommissionersJune: William Witten Commander of the Rev. be allowed $100 for his services for the present year.
1818 May T. school commissioners Thomas Witten Senior.
1829 June T. ordered that Eleanor, slave of Wm Witten be exempted from payment of county levy and Poor rates.<
blockquote>1832 Oct. T. declaration of Thomas Witten , a Rev. War soldier.
1834 Oct T. a deed of Emancipation for a slave by Wm Thompson, John Cecil, and Thomas Witten, heirs of James Witten, dec. admitted to record.
1845 July T. Anderson's Mill aka Graybeal's Mill then Taylors Mill at Maxwell.
May 1809 First Grand Jury empannelled: James Witten, Audley Maxwell, James Maxwell
1805 Deed Book No. 1 page 225 William Witten adn Letticie his wife, John Greenup and Elizabeth his wife, to John Tollett, William Witten, James Witten, Jeremiah Witten, Thomas Greenup and Smith Deskins, Trustees in Trust, Conveys four acres and a half, situate on Clinch River, upon which to erect a church for the use and benefit of the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States of America etc. Said four and a half acres described by metes and bounds and comes out of a 121 acre survey made to John Greenup and Thomas Witten, decd.
Deskins-Maxwell House: first of three gray stone houses built in Tazwell County by German stonemasters. Approx. date 1810, one of the oldest houses in county continuously occupied by desc. of original owner.
Witten's Mill in early settlement days the location of a mill was the impending influence in the selection of a home site. Wittens' Mill was located in the heart of a thriving area of Taz. Co. The first mill on this site was built and run by a Mr Lane. It burned when the Northern Army invaded the County under Col. Toland. In 1870 Thomas Witten and Richard SMoot rebuilt a mill on the original site.
Thomas Witten and son in law acquired Crab Orchard tract from William Ingles about 1768 and settled about 1760-1770.