Sunday, March 2, 2014

Robert Norman

emails I rec'd from Robert Norman. just cut and pasted them, didn't record any dates. deb>"I am the son of Oscar and Leta Schaeffer, born in Blythesdale, Missouri. I believe you posted some family information on your blog. This is the first information I have been able to obtain about my family since I was removed from the family at the age of 2. I am very interested in getting more information about my family and can also provide more input about the Shaeffers. Her name was Lita Anna Schaeffer. George was about four or five years older than me. I will get more information for you about my sisters. I appreciate your help."
"I didn't mention that I was born December 15 1943 in Blythedale by the name of Clifford Scaeffer. My brother's name is George but I don't remember him. I met Patty about 25 years ago and she lives near St. Louis. I was adopted at age 3 and lived in Chillicothe through high school. I have 2 degrees in civil engineering from Mizzou and now living in Berwyn, Pennsylvania. My wife, Janis, has a PhD in Art Education from Kansas. We have been married 37 years."
"I was wondering how you were related to the Schaeffers and if you know anyone in your family that is still living. Hope you can help. You are an exceptional person to keep track of your family and I am glad you did. "(deb's note: most of the work was done by Dolly Gray, Pauilne Axsom, Grace Brown, & Minerva Brown.)
then, the email that finally got thru to me: "Leta Schaeffer is mentioned in your 1939 Updates blog. it has to be my mother and father. What I am trying to piece together is the timeline for Patty to be born in 1941 and me in late 1943 if Oscar is in a high school photo in the late 30's. According to a Judge Rose in Bethany at that time, Oscar had two older daughters. Does anyone know where George, my brother, is? The rumor was that he and Oscar were in prison years ago in Blytheville or DeWitt Arkansas. I cannot find any records. Leta disappeared from the area sometime in the mid-40's. The name "Schaeffer" came from official adoption records and was legally advertised in the Chillicothe Constitution Tribune in 1948. I would expect that the attorneys would have the spelling correct. The interesting thing about this to me is that there was a photo with Oscar's name correctly spelled and I assume he could have placed his name on the photo or influenced the writer. I have two daughters very interested in my family history and Patty, my natural sister has a son and daughter also very interested. You may have someone on Ross's side of the family that knows this but it is a skeleton in the closet and not the kind of thing to be remembered. I would love to have a picture of my dad or George or anyone that came from the tree."
----------------------------
so, I went back to where he told me he had found the information...I love reading thru the transcriptions of Grandma's journals, even with all my typos....
letter from Mary Johnson Aug 26 2005: Virginia invited me to come over and go thru mom's entries with her in an attempt to i.d. persons.
Aunt Inez (Shafer) was a sister to Grandpa Ross. I thought her name was Erlwine or Earlwine (Aunt Dona knows this.). Oscar was their brother and Leta was his wife and Georgie was their son. Pearl Cochran was their sister (Ross, Pearl, Inez, Oscar, and a sister who died frist was Rosa. I believe their mother Rose or Rosa was an Oxford.
July 9 1939 Eva & Clayton Roy? Is Roy a last name or middle name? Uncle Oscar Shafer had an Eva (I think by a wife before Leta. I wonder if Aunt Dona knows, she communicates with one of Eva's sons and could inquire for us.)
in a pic of students by a schoolhouse in an album of Virginia's is OSCAR SCHAEFFER, CLEO OSBORN & HALLIE CRAIG. the names are written in ink by kids standing on the back row, but there are no names by kids on the front row.
Mary Johnson letter Aug 29 I have been a woman possessed-just like you with mom's diary info! when I found the entry: Blythedale, MO July 9 1939 signed, "Your cousin, Eva Willis" I just had to find out more. I had only known that Mom had one cousin named Eva and she was Oscar Schafer's daughter. I don't think Leta was her mother, so there's another puzzle. Georgie (in diary) was Oscar & Leta's son. I referred back to the diary info and info on Eva & Clayton Roy was July 9 1939.
Dad took us girls and moms cousin Nadine(Oscars's 15 yr. old) to a mulberry tree, when he came back for us we went from our farm back to Grp. & Grm. and lo & behold, the doctor had "brought" us a new baby brother.
Jan 15 1939 Bessie came over today. Jr. went to Grandma's this morn. Ralph went to Oscar's this afternoon. Ralph came up this afternoon.
Jan. 24 1939 Jr. went to Jennette's this afternoon. Mom went up to Aunt Dollie's today. She & Julian came. We rode home with them. Aunt Dell is some better. Leta was there.
Jan 25 1939 Mother & I stayed with Aunt Dell today while Punk & Opal went home. Lois & Pearl were there this afternoon. Ralph went to Saline & to Oscar's today.
Feb 5 1939 We went to Grandma's today. Leta came too. "We" tore down some of Grandma's old barn. Alice Scott came down in the eve. She was pretty well.
Feb 22 1939 Ralph, Mom, & I walked to Leta's & she & Georgie went on to Grandma's with us. The boys went up to Alfred & Marvin's tonight. Marshall was up awhile this morning.
Feb 26 1939 Sun. We went to Grandma's today. we came back by Oscar's & stopped a while. The boys took their harps & the guitar up & played for Grandma.
Feb 27 1939 Mom & Ralph went up to Oscar's & helped them move & pack today. Punk moved them. I went to Jenette's today. Jr. helped Zimmerman's saw wood this aft. It snowed this eve.
May 7 1939 Georgie was sick today. Betty & I went to Jennette's this morn. Alfred took all of us to Oscars this aft. He & I took Grandma home tonight. Edgar is better.
May 8 1939 Mamie came over this aft. Johnnie Axsom told us that they had taken Georgie to the hospital at Bethany this morn. Ralph, Betty, Mom, & I went to Jenette's this evening.
May 20 1939 I am 17 years old today. Alfred got me a box of candy & some hankies. He & I went to the show tonight. It was "The Storm" with Nan Grey & Tom Brown, Jr. & Dean went to Oscar's tonight.
June 18 1939 Ralph went up to Oscar's. Junior went to Bills. Mamie came home with him & stayed all night. I went up to Hugh's with Axsom's today. Alfred & I went to church tonight. It rained tonight.
June 24 1939 Dean went up to Oscar's tonight. Ralph & Mom went to town this morn. Cora came up this morn. Marvin, Mom, Bety, Alfred, & I went to the show tonight. It was "Always in Trouble" with Jane Withers.
July 30 1939 Bessie's folks, Leta & kids, Stella Rose, & Marvin were here this afternoon. Buster & Dickey were here this morn. Johnnie, Daisy, Alfred, Marvin, Anna & children were here tonight.
Aug. 19 1939 Alfred & I decided tonight to get married the 29th of this month. Mom went over to Bessie's this afternoon. Jr. went to Oscar's to stay all night. Marvin, Alfred, & the rest of us went to "Down on the Farm" with the Jones tonite.
Sept 17 1939 Ralph & Marvin came over today. Jr. & Dean went to Oscar's last night & were there today. Maude & Albert came home tonight & brought us home.
Dec 25 1938 We all walked to Oscar's & on to Saline. Grandma gave me a hankie and pencil. We had a nice time and didn't get home until night.
----------------
email I sent to Robt. Norma April 5 2009 about a phone call from Aunt Mary.
things she had discussed with her cousin Virginia and Aunt Dona.....Oscar & his sister Inez Shafer decided to change the spelling of their last name to Schaeffer trying to cash in on something.....maybe the Schaeffer pen company. Aunt Mary thinks she remembers Aunt Dona telling her this....the Shafers came from Germany....Gene Mathes' mom grew up with Aunt Mary's mom Mary Pauline Shafer Axsom. She corresponded with his mother over the years. Gene & Becky Mathes lived in Marshallville, IA. Both are deceased.
When Oscar and his first wife Edna divorced, they had 3 kids. the oldest was NADINE, who was 15 when my father was born and took my very young aunts Mary & Freeda berry picking while their baby brother was born at home. Edna had to move in with her parents. Times were hard back then. She couldn't afford to keep the kids. Oscar's sister Inez never had children, her and her husband took in Oscars son WAYNE, adopted and raised him. Oscars parents George & Rosa took EVA from ages 5-11. There was a story about her being sexually molested, then her mother took her back. EVA married Harold Mathes, they lived in the Blythedale, MO area.
Leta remarried a neighbor of my grandparents. and older man named Morris Griffin. He had lots of whiskers and once my aunt caught him in their chicken house sucking eggs. Leta & Morris had a child, my aunt thinks it was a daughter. She's not sure if they just had the one. Morris had a daughter who married an Oxford and lived in Des Moines, IA.
Your brother GEORGE lived in San Jose, was married, visited my grandparents Alfred & Pauline Axsom several times per letters my grandmother wrote my aunt.
Oscar moved to DeWitt, Ark. in the mid 40s. He lived there for years. In April 1964 my grandparents Alfred & Pauline Shafer Axsom left the family farm off Route A near Trenton, MO, packed up their youngest son & a few belongings into the car, & went looking for better opportunities. Oscar had told them to come to Arkansas, where he was a tenant farmer and lived in a shanty house. He said there was always work there. (in the meantime, my parents moved onto the farm to run it. It was my first home when I was born Dec. 8 1964). They got to Arkansas & visited Uncle Oscar, but decided to keep looking, and ended up in San Jose, CA, where my grandmother lived until her death in 1992 and my grandpa lived until he had to go live with my aunt and later in long term care for health reasons, where he passed on.
Oscar was very happy in Arkansas, was not known to have remarried. He is probably buried somewhere in that area. Eva & her husband are dead. Wayne is probably dead. Edna remarried Roy Willis and had more kids with Roy.(now I don't remember what Edna Willis had to do with anything....she was in my grandma's diary listed as picking up kids that my grandmother was watching...will have to look at the diary again.)But most importantly, both my Aunt Mary & her cousin Virginia have pictures of your dad Oscar. I might also have a picture somewhere.

2 comments:

Six columns said...

Oscar Schaeffer is buried in Prairie, Arkansas. Do not have the date of passing.

Six columns said...

Eva Schaeffer and Eva Mathes are the same. After Edna divorced Oscar, Eva changed her name to Willis when Edna remarried.