Saturday, August 9, 2014

"I knew Dad ran in track in high school. He used to race us kids and was FAST. But I just learned he also did the pole vault! That shocks me as he always had a bad back. Maybe that's why?! He got hurt somehow (Mom doesn't remember how) and was on crutches for on a pole vault injury when they started dating."

Lisa posted this on facebook today. Aunt Mary had also recently wrote me this. will have to try to find a Trenton yearbook with a pic of him on the track team.....I thought he dropped out of school relatively young. or I assumed, I guess. I do know he didn't graduate.
Lisa commented: Mom got her alumni newsletter today and Aunt Mary had a blurb in there about dad hobbling on crutches from a pole vault injury. Mom read it to me! Then Brenda added: Dad told me about it last summer when we would sit & talk outside at night. He also told me he was in organized boxing matches too. (That was during his high school years, if memory serves me correctly) Amazing just how many cool things a person can find out about a loved one later on in life when they slow down enough to listen.

No comments: