Friday, October 10, 2014

letters from Aunt Mary

7/1/02104
Yes! Union Station is an awesome building! I was there many Friday nights boarding the train for Trenton when I first came to K.C.
Sometimes, I've wondered if I got too overly enthusiastic about the Vaile and bored others. One volunteer (and good friend) can't quite understand my treasure hunts and getting things so far in advance. It pays off in 2 ways-most of the time it saves money and gives an opportunity to acquire accessories related to the theme and still not look like everybody elses (such as finding black plates and saucers for 2014 and a wedding gown (very pretty) for 50 cents for 2015 and 24 shatter proof red ornaments for very little. Fred's sister Diane said when looking at snapshots from 2013 that we could use red in the water tower room, not knowing I'd decided on red for 2014 (along with black, white, metallic gold, some crystal clear, fake evergreen.) My expenditures range from $1 for a pretty (not bright) red gown with small, all over pattern of small, velvety, black flowers to a tall, lipstick red vase with a clear base found at an antique store for $20+ (I passed it up, kept thinking about it, went back over to Claycomo, it was still there, so I got it), my biggest splurge. The antique store charges tax which is aggravating for second hand merchandise!
in craft/decorating books found 2 ideas that I'd like to try. One is stringing balls from sweet gum trees on monofilament and spraying them gold to make garland to decorate a Christmas tree. Another is pressing blooms from Queen Anne's Lace to make ornaments. they are to be sprayed on both sides with adhesive, then sprinkled with fine glitter: pearl and a folded piece of ribbon glued to the center of each flower.
for 2014 theme is Victorian Christmas magic.
Fred & I stayed at The Bluebird, south Chillicothe, not fancy but clean.
Fred & I watched a program of Route 66...I love the backroads and small towns any day over the interstate highways!
Freeda wrote me that your mom told her that your dad had been diagnosed with prostate cancer in June (she thought 2012. I had no idea of any cancer until the morn of Oct. 17 2013 and the news was quite a shock! As Aunt Dona wrote about Uncle Dean's emotions regarding Mom, I was devasted!
I loved all your signs, cozy décor with photos & antiques AND your home's location. You've raised 3 good kids and deserve to be proud of them!
awhile back, Freeda wrote that Marc & Darla had bought an ice cream shop. They still do kettle korn at festivals.
5-19-2014
Aunt Edith's boy who died was Dewey. Carol Sue sang on the radio, Virginia told me. Aunt Edith married a third time and they lived in Leon. Virginia corresponds with Mavis Heitz who had a brother Keith (Jrs. age.)
In the Boyd genealogy many were born in Putnam County, Ind. Sanford Clark Boyd (Susie's husband) was born in Putnam County, near Greencastle on 10-21-1859. Susie was born in Tippicanoe Co,Ind. 10-7-1864. He moved to MO. when he was 9.
genealogy for Madge Boyd Hamilton states that she died from infection following a miscarriage in 1924. her husband was Clem. she's buried in Hamilton Cemetery, Pleasanton, IA. This is how Virginia had heard it.
Jr.'s mother Edith first married Jim Frisbie. She had a son Gerald who married June Wishon. Edith later married Clifford or "Cliff" or "Littler" King and they had Carol Sue and Jr.
Virginia has an aunt Ruth Flanagan Dale who's 85 bracket. her husband is Orville They live in a senior facility in Lamoni, IA..
Grandma Daisy claimed that her sister Cora married to Grandpa Johnnie's brother James "Jay" had a 10 yr. old daughter named Bronna Fay who died after struck in the head by a ball at school and she's buried at Fairview Cemetery, Cainsville, MO. Uncle Jay and Aunt Cora had 3 children buried at Fairview.
Tomorrow would be my mother's 92nd birthday.
Madge Boyd Hamilton has one daughter still living. Maxine Axsom Bradbury keeps in touch with her. Maxine lives in El Cajon, CA. Donna Fay Doty still lives in Cainsville. Her grandma Maude was Susie Boyd's daughter.
Grandpa Johnnie's car was a 1936, I think. The hood was lifted each side individually. It had a running board. The headlights were not concealed inside the fenders. I believe the windshield was 2 pieces. The car was black, as most were.
Back in 1974 (the spring after Al died) Roger wanted me to come to California during his college spring break. I spent a night at Freeda's. the girls wanted me to tell them about the antics of the Axsom kids.....such as hiding cigs in the hay in the barn and going down in the pature to bring in the cows so she and your dad could smoke. once we had permission to go swimming at Crowder Lake. she ditched me to go motorcycle riding. we went into a park restroom, wet our swimsuits and hair, then went home late and hung our swimsuits on the line like trustworthy "good" girls.
Jerry's dad died in spring 1976.

No comments: