Friday, January 23, 2015

Aunt Mary wrote that she & Aunt Freeda remember their Grandma Daisy Axsom singing Little Rosewood Casket.

found a youtube link....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO_f2xp3soE
couldn't find the lyrics on lyrics.com.....no one had published them.
it was written in 1870, first recorded in 1920, often considered a folk song. found some lyrics on google!
There's a little rosewood casket
settin' on a marble stand
there's a package of love letters
written by my true loves hand
go and bring them to me, brother.
come and set upon my bed
lay your head upon my pillow
while my aching heart grows dead.
read them gently to me brother
read them til I fall asleep.
Fall asleep to wake in heaven
oh dear brother do not weep.
Last Sunday I saw her walking
with a gentleman by her side
and I thought I heard him tell her
she was soon to be his bride.
When I am dead in my coffin
and my friends have gathered round
and my narrow grave is ready
in some lonesome churchyard ground.
There's a little rosewood casket
settin' on a marble stand
there's a package of love letters
written by my true loves hand.

No comments: