Monday, December 12, 2022

from Aunt Mary Dec. 2022

My mom's dad Ross Shafer was in WWI. Mom regretted that we kids never had the opportunity to know him. When Mom had a C section when Roger was born, we'd place him on a regular bed surrounded by pillows before leaving for school and for dad to do outside chores, so she wouldn't have to lift him when alone with him.
when we moved to Trenton, the house had only one bedroom. your dad, Freeda, & I had to share a regular sized bed in the living room. Dad, Mom, Grp. Johnnie & Grm. Daisy opened up the attic, making 2 bedrooms upstairs. THey converted a work shop & wash house (2 room building) into a cute cottage for Grp. & Gma. when they sold their farm north of Cainsville. Grandpa had cancer and lived slightly more than 2 years after we moved to Trenton. The moving guys truck broke down if I remember right. The furniture was moved, but not the livestock: cows, pigs, 2 work horses, a Shetland pony & maybe the tractor and mcahinery. I wasn't quite 11. I had had to skip from 4th to 6th grade which was the usual in one room schools then. Grp. & Grm. got us kids enrolled in Central Grade school. I got to go into 6th grade a 2nd year which was my age group at Trenton and never had to go back to 5th grade. I was so glad because I loved Mrs. Russell the 6th grade teacher as I think every student did. Mom & Dad stayed at Grp. & Grm. farm to do chores until the moving could be completed.

No comments: