Saturday, July 28, 2007

Mrs Josie Quigley Maxwell

undated obit from unknown paper in Grandma Grace's book {The typo of great grandma Gilly's name was in the obit.}

Mary Josephine Quigley, daughter of Judge Franklin R. and Henrietta Springer Quigley, was born in Fox Creek township in Harrison County, MO., July 20 1868. She was one of a family of eleven children, seven of whom grew to manhood and womanhood.
She being one of the older children was of great assistance to her mother in caring for the younger members of the family and she retained that motherly interest in them to a marked degree all through her life.
Her first education was acquired in the home district school at Bolton and with this preparation she was able to pass a creditable examination for a teacher's certificate and began teaching in the country schools of the county while yet quite young.
By energy and economy she was soon able to save up enough to enable her to complete a course in the normal school at Stanberry, Mo., and a little later to complete a course in the Grand River College at Edinburg, Mo., after which she taught school for a number of years.
She was always a student and a reader and these habits, acquired while young, continued with her so long as her health would permit. When quite young she united with the Christian church at Bolton and continued in this faith through all her life.
March 26 1899, she was married to J.H. Maxwell of Fox Creek Township and soon thereafter they established their residence on the old Quigley homestead, where Josie was born and raised and where her home had been all her life, with the exception of a few years residence in Gilman City, where they moved in order to give their only child, James Franklin, better school advantages, herhome during her entire life was on this one homestead.
Josie was of a kind, a generous and a lovable disposition. She was genial, sociable and entertaining to her many friends and enjoyed their company very much. For a number of years her hearing had become so defective as to make it hard to carry on a conversation with her. This was a greater disappointment to her than any except her most intimate friends knew as by reading she kept herself well informed on all important events, continued to meet all with a cheerful smile and despite her handicap to make herself entertaining and companionable to both old and young.
She was very clever in giving readings and was often called on to give a reading or to make an address at some neighborhood function. Many young people of her acquaintance would go to her for advice or assistance as to the selections they were to give and she was never too busy with her own affairs to give them advice and assistance and often would drill them on the parts they were to take.
She was held in high regard, esteem and affection by all her relatives, friends, and neighbors. Her last illness began Nov 4 1924. She rapidly grew worse. Human skill and human aid were of no avail. After four long months of suffering she suddenly passed away on the morning of March 7 1925, aged 56 years, 7 months, and 13 days.
She is survived by her bereaved husband, one son, James Franklin, whom she loved with a true mother's affectioin; one brother, John F. Quigley, who made his home with her and her husband; four sisters, Mrs. Amanda Piclher and Mrs. Ada Brown of Knobnoster, MO; Mrs. Stella Terrill, Parkville, MO; and Mrs. Grace McAfree, Cleveland, Ohion, all of whom visited her during her last illness with the exception of Mrs. Brown, who was prevented from doing so by sickness in her own family.
Her son Frank came home from school in Kansas City as soon as he learned of his mother's illness and remained with her until a few weeks ago when she thought she was so much improved that she insisted he return to his school.
Her neighbors, friends, and relatives were very kind and considerate during her illness, visiting her much and helping in any way they could.
Espcially this is true of her two sisters-in-law, Mrs. Emma Maxwell Utterback and Mrs. Gilla Higdon Maxwell, both of whom spent much time with her.
The memory of her influence on the community will be a source of comfort to her relatives and friends.
Funeral services were held at the Springer church at 2:30 o'clock the afternoon of March 4 1925, conducted by Rev. P.F. Meek, a life long friend of the family, in teh presence of an unusually large gathering of relatives and friends.
The body was tenderly laid to rest in the Springer cemetery, near kindred dust, in view of the home in which she had lived her life.

No comments: