Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Vicki's Aunt Lela Bever Hills Cake Recipe

Vanilla Sauce Recipe belonging to BREIGH and found on the internet under Cottage Pudding Cake! COTTAGE PUDDING CAKE Cake Recipe written just as my Aunt Lela Bever Hills gave to me in the early 1970's. My notations underneath. 1 cup flour 1/2 cup sugar 1/8 tsp. salt 2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 cup milk 1 egg, beaten 2 T. melted butter Sift dry ingredients, add milk, egg and butter. Beat well. Bake in a greased pan in hot oven for 15 minutes. Cut in squares and serve with cream, sugar and nutmeg. My Notes: this recipe is included in my cookbook "The Recipe and Memory Book of Vicki Lynn Bever Doze," 2011. This recipe belonged to my Grandmother Lula A. Burg Bever. It is meant to be eaten warm. It is not a sweet cake, but is still good to eat without any kind of topping. I used canned pie cherries and Cool-Whip as a topping. See picture. Of course, REAL Whipped Cream would have been better! I looked for other Cottage Pudding Cake recipes on the internet and found several. None are exactly as the one I have, however, I did change the sugar from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup, changed the salt to just a pinch and I believe the next time I bake this cake, I will add about 1/2 tsp. vanilla. A hot oven is 400 to 425 degrees. I baked mine at 400 degrees and it took 17 minutes. I did the toothpick test! The pan size is a square pan. Some of the other recipes said to grease and flour the pan, but I used Pam Spray and no flour. The cake came out just fine. Just a note - this cake doesn't actually have a pudding texture--I think it's what's on top that gives it the pudding name. VANILLA SAUCE FOR COTTAGE PUDDING CAKE I found this on the internet, author's name given only as Breigh. It was with her old family recipe for Cottage Pudding Cake. See picture. 2 T. butter 2 T. flour 1/4 tsp. salt 1/2 cup brown sugar Cook over medium heat and stir until smooth. (Author melts her butter first, then adds the flour, salt and brown sugar) Allow to cook until it bubbles and then remove from heat. Add 1 cup boiling water, stir until smooth again and return to heat. Boil until thick and add a small amount of vanilla. I'm anxious to try the sauce. It looks so delicious in the picture! Vicki

No comments: