Sunday, July 27, 2014

there was a comment on a Maxwell photo I had posted on a photo site....but can't remember my password, of course...

this was the comment:
Maxwell photos Submitted by Tracy Keeney (not verified) on 2 May 2014 - 8:09am. Hi, My husband's mother was a Maxwell. Her father's name was James William Maxwell. HIS father's name was James Curtis Maxwell (1882-1910), who married Margaret("Maggie", "Madge")Englert, but James Curtis died before he turned 30. James Curtis' siblings were Ella, Emma, George and John T. Maxwell, we think John may have had a son named Russell. We know that for at least a time, the family lived around the Chillicothe area. I noticed you uploaded a picture of a James C. Maxwell, as well as a photo of a John Maxwell and I'm wondering if these might be my husbands relatives. I'd love to correspond with you to see if we can figure out if that's the case or not. Thank you Tracy Keeney
this is my reply:
JC was my great great grandfather. he was a Confederate soldier, POW at Fort Delaware, Pea Patch Island. I think he was the only one of his family to travel to Iowa, then on to Missouri, where he bought land in Harrison County, MO that is now a century farm. His family was from Tazewell Co, VA. he was married twice. his son TW Maxwell was my great grandfather. Tom had 2 boys that died ages 1 and 3 in an epidemic; Leland, who lived his adult life in MArshall, MO; John, who settled around Grove OK; James, whose sons JAsper and Clyde ended up around KC; and 3 daughters: Evie, my grandma Grace, and Minverva. would have to look up his fathers name. I know they were involved in the Indian wars, there were captains and such, and there is a Fort Maxwell somewhere. there were 2 Maxwell girls aged about 7 and p, (Mattie and Jennie, I think?) who were killed by Indians. there is a marker I have found online. Maxwell is a pretty common name. there could be a distant relation, maybe.

No comments: