Friday, April 3, 2009

putting it all together in one place...

re: Robert Norman;

1st the emails he sent me:
I am the son of Oscar and Leta Schaeffer, born in Blythesdale, Missouri. I believe you posted some family information on your blog. This is the first information I have been able to obtain about my family since I was removed from the family at the age of 2. I am very interested in getting more information about my family and can also provide more input about the Schaeffers.
Her name was Lita Anna Schaeffer. George was aboiut foiur or five years older than me. I will get more information for you about my sisters. I appreciate your help.
--------------------------


I didn't mention that I was born December 15, 1943 in Blythedale by the name of Clifford Schaeffer. I also had a sister named Patty who was 4 at the time and also removed from the family. My brother's name is George but I don't remember him. I met Patty about 25 years ago and she lives near St. Louis. I was adopted at age 3 and lived in Chillicothe through high school. I have two degrees in civil engineering from Mizzou and now living in Berwyn, Pennsylvania. My wife, Janis, has a PhD in Art Education from Kansas. We have been married 37 years.
I was wondering how you were related to the Schaeffers and if you know anyone in the family that is still living. Hope you can help.
You are an exceptional person to keep track of your family and I am glad you did.

then, the one that finally got thru to me: Leta Schaeffer is mentioned in your 1939 Updates blog. It has to be my mother and father. What I am trying to piece together is the timeline for Patty to be born in 1941 and me in late 1943 if Oscar is in a high school photo in the late 30's. According to a Judge Rose in Bethany at that time, Oscar had two older daughters. Does anyone know where George, my brother is? The rumor was that he and Oscar were in a prison years ago in Blytheville or DeWitt Arkansas. I cannot find any records. Leta disappeared from the area sometime in the mid-40"s.
The name, "Schaeffer" came from official adoption records and was legally advertised in the Chillicothe Constitution Tribune in 1948. I would expect that the attorneys would have the spelling correct. The interesting thing about this to me is that there was a photo with Oscar's name correctly spelled and I assume he could have placed his name on the photo or influenced the writer.
I have two daughters very interested in my family history and Patty, my natural sister has a son and daughter also very interested.
You may have someone on Ross's side of the family that knows this but it is a skeleton in the closet and not the kind of thing to be remembered. I would love to have a picture of my dad or George or anyone that came from the tree.


so, I went back to where he told me he had found the information..I love reading thru the transcriptions of Grandma's journals, even with all my typos...

letter from mary johnson aug 26 2005
virginia invited me to come over and go thru mom's entries with her in an attempt to i.d. persons.
Aunt Inez (Shafer) was a sister to Grandpa Ross. I thought her name was Erlwine or Earlwine (Aunt Dona knows this.) Oscar was their brother and Leta was his wife and Georgie was their son. Pearl Cochran was their sister (Ross, Pearl, Inez, Oscar, and a sister who died first was Rosa). I believe their mother Rose or Rosa was an Oxford.
july 9 1939 Eva & Clayton Roy? Is Roy a last name or middle name? Uncle OScar Shafer had an Eva (I think by a wife before LEta. I wonder if aunt dona knows. she communicates wtih one of eva's sons and could inquire for us.)

in a pic of students by a schoolhouse in an album of virginia's is OSCAR SCHAEFFER, CLEO OSBORN & HALLIE CRAIG> the names are written in ink by kids standing on the back row, but there are no names by kids on the front row.

mary johnson letter aug 29 i have been a woman possessed -just like you with mom's diary info! when i found the entry: Blythedale, MO July 9 1939 signed "Your cousin, Eva Willis" I just had to find out more. i had only known that Mom had one cousin named Eva and she was Oscar Shafer's daughter. I don't think Leta was her mother, so there;s another puzzle. Georgie(in diary) was Oscar & Letas son. I referred back to the diary info and info on Eva & Clayton Roy was July 9 1939.

Dad took us girls and moms cousin Nadine (Oscars 15 year old) to a mulberry tree, when he came back for us we went from our farm back to Grp. & Grm. and lo & behold, the doctor had "brought" us a new baby brother.

Jan15 1939 Bessie came over today. Jr. went to Grandma's this morn. Ralph went to Oscar's this afternoon. Ralph came up this afternoon.

Jan24 1939 Jr. went to Jennette's this afternoon. Mom went up to Aunt Dollie's today. Sue & Julian camem We rode home with them, Aunt Dell is some better. leta was there.

Jan25 1939 Mother & I stayed with Aunt Dell today while Punk & Opal went home. Lois & Pearl were there this afternoon. Ralph went to Saline & to Oscar's today.

Feb5 1939 We went to Grandma's today. Leta came too. "We" tore down some of Grandma's old barn. Alice Scott came down in the eve. She was pretty well.

Feb22 1939 Ralph, Mom, & I walked to Leta's & she & Georgie went on to Grandma's with us. The boys went up to Alfred's & Marvin's tonight. Marshall was up awhile this morning.

Feb26 1939 Sun. We went to Grandma's today. We came back by Oscar's & stopped a while. The boys took their harps & the guitar up & played for Grandma.
Feb27 1939 Mom & Ralph went up to Oscar's & helped them pack & move today. Punk moved them. I went to Jenette's today. Jr. helped Zimmerman's saw wood this aft. IT snowed this eve.

May7 1939Georgie was sick today. Betty & I went to Jenette's this morn. Alfred took all of us to Oscars this aft. He & I took Grandma home tonight. Edgar is better.

May8 1939 Mamie came over this aft. Johnnie Axsom told us that they had taken Georgie to the hospital at Bethany this morn. Ralph, Betty, Mom & I went to Jenette's this evening.

May20 1939 i am 17 years old today. Alfred got me a box of candy & some hankies. he & I went to the show tonight. It was "The STorm" with Nan Grey & Tom Brown. Jr. & Dean went to OScar's tonight.

June18 1939 Ralph went up to Oscar's. Junior went to Bills. Mamie came home with him & stayed all night. I went up to Hugh's with Axsom's today. Alfred & I went to church tonight. IT rained tonight.

June24 1939 Dean went up to OScars tonight. Ralph & Mom went to town this morn. Cora came up this morn. Marvin, Mom, Betty,Alfred& I went to the show tonight. It was "Always in Trouble" with Jane Withers

July30 1939 Bessie's folks, Leta & kids, Stella Rose, & MArvin were here this afternoon. Buster &Dickey were here this morn. Johnnie, Daisy, Alfred, MArvin, Anna & children were here tonight.

Aug19 1939 Alfred & I decided tonight to get married the 29th of this month. Mom went over to Bessie's this afternoon. Jr. went to Oscar's to stay all night. MArvin,Alfred, & the rest of us went to "Down on the Farm" with the Jones tonite.

Sept17 1939 RAlph &MArvin came over today. Jr & Dean went to Oscar's last night & were there today. Maude & Albert came home tonight &brought us home.

dec25 1938 we all walked to OScars & on to Saline. Grandma gave me a hankie & pencil. WE had a nice time & didn't get home until night.

will send this info to aunt dona & aunt mary & see if they have any insights....deb
I loved re reading this old diary transcript even with my many typos...

No comments: