Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I am going to try and thumb a ride up Sunday afternoon if I have as good a luck as did comming back it will be all right as caught a ride from west at Trenton to K.C. in about three hours.

postmarked Aug 19 1942 Fort Leavenworth Kans
from Tech 5th Gr John Maxwell to Minerva Maxwell Brimson MO
Aug 6 1942
Dear Folks
Well Just a few lines to let you know that Iam all right I was up Wed a little while. and seen Minerva.
and if nothing does not happen I will be in Sunday nite and stay until Tues. morning till Pop to be ready and will go fishing Monday afternoon. Minerva is comming out and stay two day with me I have all ready made arrangement for a place for her to stay.
I am going to try and thumb a ride up Sunday afternoon if I have as good a luck as did comming back it will be all right as caught a ride from west at Trenton to K.C. in about three hours.
I have elctric fan I am going to bring up for Vermal when I come well I had better close for this time but will see you Monday if nothing does not happen.
John
also enclosed in this envelope...
Aug 19 1942
Dear Sis
We did you get home all right Saterday nite. Our mess Sargt said he seen you sitting in the buss depot after I left I got here about midnite and got up at three Sunday morning
They came around yesterday and ask us if we thought we were fit for field duty or wanted to go before a board and be reclassified . So they probly will give a ticket for some place unknowen. but I am ready to go any place or do any thing I will let you know when I go so can wait and write to the other place I am going down to see Leland tomorrow nite and stay until Friday afternoon I may get to come home again if nothing does not happen. So good luck
Your Brother
John
Aug 27 1942
Dear Sis
Well I am still at Leavenworth but dont know how long will be here as they have not made the date to leave yet. I was down to see Leland last Fri and came back Fri nite he is begaining to worry now afriad he is going to got to the army now. I may be home again next week sometime next week if nothing does not happen. Two more of the cooks got married this week said they was afraid somebody else would get there girl while they were gone but I dont think so for there will not be any body left after while but some old men that can not handle them.
I went to the show last Saterday nite for the first time since you was out I may go again this week end. It sure got cool out here at nite now look like fall has started but it may get hot for a while yet cant stay very long. I seen Leon Harrison last nite but did not know him He spoke to me and said bet you dont know me do you I look for a long time adn he had to tell who he was. Well if the sunshien to day think will take some more pictures. Well I had better close for this time but will write again soon.
John

No comments: