Tuesday, January 8, 2013

we went on a hike to day and went threw mustard gas with our gas maks they are getting us ready for anything that there are to get in to.

postmarked July 27 1943 Charleston SC
from CPL John Maxwell 37016789 330Harbor Craft CO Staggin ARea I CPE Charleston SC to Minerva Maxwell 3430 Ted ave Marshall MO
June 23 43
Dear Sis
I will write a few lines again before we go onthe rang as wont be back until Sunday It has been a little cooler the last day or so we went on a hike to day and went threw mustard gas with our gas maks they are getting us ready for anything that there are to get in to. We are going to Fort Jackson tomorrow and stay until Sunday I have been getting a lot letters the last two week. I sure hope they get started next week on our schooling but we will do some drilling to.
They had a shake down this morning they looked threw everything we had even tore up our beds and looked at them THey even read our letters and looked at every paper we had
They said that found some important papers some place but I dont know what kind or any thing about it I got letter from Max Smith he said that they had sent Willard Spaulding to Camp Roberts Calif I got letter from another one of the boy that went there he said they were going across in about month well I had better close but will write just as soon as get back
Love John
in same envelope....
7/26/43
Dear Sis Well how are you now suppose that you cant wait until Saterday so can go home to stay for a while
I suppose about every body has changed around so wont know where any body is. It dont look much like will ever get home any more for a longtime from this place In one way dont know if would work any way afraid if ever got away never would comed back here.
I have such a cold cant harley set up to nite anyway Does (scratched out) Dale think he will get to come home any more or have they got him in place cant get away he should make more at Rating after awhile out at his job
I have not heard from Max and Al for a long time think will write a letter and find out what has happened to them they must have been about a sent out from there from what I can hear they (scratched out) have sent most of them out. Have they ever classified Leland or Vermal again or not How is Leland feeling now he should be here he sure wo uld have some swell motors to work on they have about all kinds here Diesel and Gas well I had better close for have some more letters to write I got letter from Clifford Roberts telling about his big Girl he sure if proud.
Love John

No comments: