Monday, October 27, 2014

Dear Debbie and family,

12-8-99
Dear Debbie and family,
It was misting rain awhile ago when I came in. We got some much needed rain last Sat. and Sat. night. It turned into big, fluffy snowflakes by 8A.M. We didn't get much accumulation, but it was pretty on all of the tree branches, etc. till the sun came out and the majority of it melted.
One of the first cards I received this year was from your Grandma Grace. She's a lovely person and has always been one of my favorite people. I was surprised that she'd still been mowing her yard! And doing some gardening and canning, too. I heard from Mona.
Brenda wrote me using your parents address as her return.
Today I got a card from Capper's newspaper announcing a gift subscription from dad. I've always enjoyed it. Mom subscribed way back (when I was a kid) to it too.
Christmas season at a mall is like a zoo. If I wasn't working at a mall I wouldn't go near one from Thanksgiving until after Christmas! The traffic going in and out is a bottleneck mess (as one side of the mall butts up against the interstate (I70). If they'd just ask me, I'd say "Make a tunnel under I70 just like they've done under M-291 near to one side.) A 20 screen movie opened across the street about 3-4 yrs. ago, which makes for Fri. & Sat. evening congestion. Another mall where I worked upon moving to Indep. has entrances/outlets on 4 sides, whereas the one I work at now has only 1 side access in & out.
Fred's granddaughter Angel went forward at church. She's anxiously awaiting being baptized. Christmas décor is blocking the baptismal view presently. I usually have 1 to 3 little girls riding to church with me and sometimes little boys too when cousins have stayed over night, etc. I adore them all, but occasionally they do get on my nerves.
The store is opening earlier and closing later this month. When I work late and double back I don't get to sleep early enough, then I drag myself out of bed still tired & sleepy. I'm getting too old for such nonsense!!!
I've always thought Koren was pretty. At Saline, when she was 2 1/2 yrs. old, I told her she was cute and she said, "My Mom tells me I'm REAL cute!" Well, her Mom was right and I'm glad for her that her Mom thought so and told her so. She's been a lucky little girl to have loving parents. I was proud of you (being my brother's first cute baby.)
Yes! I seem to recollect a few brawls you girls had. Not at all unlike me and Freeda and sometimes your dad as well! We fought over 1 nicely padded leather (cushioned)seat dining room chair 'til we were made to take turns for example. Freeda wore umpteen crinoline petticoats and nobody was supposed to crowd her in the car and no one was supposed to allow an open car window to blow a hair on her head. Meanwhile she didn't care if the rest of us were having a heat stroke. Your dad will vouch for this constant squabbling all thru hot weather. Sibling can be a joy! HA! We didn't have fights with Roger cause he was so much younger. (He & I were much like you &John. We adored each other.)
Well. I guess I'll sign off for now.
Love,
Aunt Mary

No comments: